The Battle for Stalingrad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pavlov House

3 posters

Go down

Pavlov House Empty Pavlov House

Post  Sasha Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am

Hello, I open this topic to talk about the article "Pavlov's House" in the main page.
Lets see
At the end of September, a platoon from the 42nd Guards had seized a four-storey
building overlooking a sqaure some 300 yards from the top of the riverbank.
The exact date is September 27
He was not a member of 42 Guards, he was a memeber of 3rd batallion, 42 Regiment, 13th Guards Division.

Badly wounded in the defence of "his" house he was hospitalised for a time
After they finished defending the house, they where ordered to go in the ofensive. His platoon attacked one of the houses near theirīs and in that attack he was wounded by a grenade.

I dont have time now, but i will talk a little about Afanasyev, i am a little confused about him.
Sasha
Sasha

Back to top Go down

Pavlov House Empty Re: Pavlov House

Post  alvinakov Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:11 am

http://redarmysoldier.info/page2.php

The above page has some usable references, maps, and images.
Hope it is ok to put my 2 cents in..........Alvinakov
alvinakov
alvinakov

http://redarmysoldier.info/

Back to top Go down

Pavlov House Empty Afanasiev reference

Post  alvinakov Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 am

I found a couple of references for Afanasiev:
On page 152 of "Stalingrad' by Michael K. Jones it says (concerning the Pavlov House): "Their commander, Lieutenant Afanasiev, was blinded early in the fighting, so Sergeant Jacob Pavlov took over command."

On page 146 of the same book: "Pavlov's house was seized on the night of 27 September 1942 by a reconnaissance unit led by Sergeant jacob Pavlov. The capture of the house took place against the backdrop of an experimental use of storm groups by the 62nd Army. The first storm group was used in Stalingrad on 18 September, in a night-time atack on the State Bank. After a short by concentrated artillery barrage, which forced the Germon garrison into the cellar, explosives were used to breach the wall and the group burst in, clearing the building of the enemy after a three-hour fight.
Suren Mirzoyan, who had joined the 13th Guards in mid-September, took part in the assault.
"..........we could pick the people we wanted to be with............I was a private, but the guy I was with, Afanasiev, who later fought in "pavlov's House" was a
lieutenant."

Alvinakov
alvinakov
alvinakov

http://redarmysoldier.info/

Back to top Go down

Post  vatansever223 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am

The above page has some usable references, maps, and images.

vatansever223

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum